Monday, October 1, 2012

28 Days of Health and Fitness Challenge

To start I want to say that when Scott, my sister Erin and I did this, our primary objective was not to lose weight. We did it because we are investing in our bodies. If you invest in a car you are likely to regularly change the oil, rotate the tires and give it gas right? As far as I'm concerned, your body is your biggest investment and you should take care of it regularly.

My degree was in Health Promotion and Education. I realized years ago that my interest was not in curing diseases, but preventing them. Taking care of your body in this most basic way is one of the best things you can do to keep your body well!

With the holiday season approaching quickly, we wanted to get this done, with our objective being that hopefully we would "take it easy" during the holidays and not eat all the delicious junky food that is available constantly.

So here is what we did...

The Rules:

--Exercise at least 12 hours or 720 minutes in 28 days (we came up with this number because it is fairly universally recommended to be moderately physically active at least 150 minutes a week, 30 minutes at a time. 180 minutes a week is just barely above the minimum).

--Food Restrictions:
candy, chocolate, white flour products such as; biscuits, pancakes, cookies, cakes, muffins, donuts, pastries, white bread, crackers, all fried foods and chips, fast food in general, ice cream, whipped cream.

--Food Go Aheads:
fresh, whole, non processed foods. Meat, Veggies, Fruits, Nuts, 100% whole wheat, dairy.

--For 28 days try hard to not "cheat"

The Results:

We kept careful track each day. We wrote down how long we exercised and if we broke a rule or slipped up and ate a restricted food then we had to put a big black "X" on that day. I know that most "diets" have a cheat day, but our challenge was to really try to go 28 days.

All three of us exceeded our exercise and fitness goals! Our times ranged between 783 and 1075 minutes. none of us managed to go all 28 days with absolutely no cheats, but they were few (2,2,4).

And how do we all feel? GREAT! Things went so well and we feel so good about what we did, that we have decided to keep it up (only this time we are allowed 1 cheat day after a minimum of 6 healthy, whole foods days). And I don't even feel as though I am missing out on anything. I look forward to exercising and recording my times and keep reminding myself that I am building up my endurance levels. I can now do 15 regular, good form push ups fairly easily and I can run a 9 minute mile (that is my best time since high school, and though it isn't impressive for a runner, I am quite pleased with it! especially considering how much I despise running)!

I have more energy all day and don't feel sluggish or yucky. I am setting a good example for my girls who have begun to ask for vegetables as a snack (rather than my suggesting it). As someone who has always had a sweet tooth, I really don't even want sweet stuff anymore. I used to make cookies, cakes or brownies at least once a week, but I don't think that will happen anymore. I just don't need it like I used to!

Scott has had more energy as well. He eats smaller meals more often rather than eating 2 very large meals for all day sustenance. He is looking pretty dang fine too I must say!

The downside....our nails grow quicker! I hate cutting my nails and I have to more often now.

FUTURE GOALS

We are planning on doing another 28 days with no cheats in January after the holidays are winding down. And I am actually looking forward to it!

Having someone to do this with definitely helped our success. My sister reported to me everyday what her exercise status was and every week I took a picture of our calendar and sent it to her so she could see how she stacked up against scott and me. I think scott having to write down his exercise times encouraged him to keep it up. And I know for me I did not want the shameful black "X" on my progress row!

I am posting this because I hope it inspires someone out there to make a healthy change in their life and increase their investment in their one and only body.

No comments:

Post a Comment